Tuesday, August 19, 2014

8 Back-to-School-Family-Traditions

I'm no spring chicken, but I still get a wonderful feeling when school starts.

I remember the special one-on-one time with Mom to go buy new shoes and clothes. When we got home, I would spread out all my new mix and match clothing on my bed and wait for Dad to come home.

When Dad walked in the kitchen door, I would rush at him talking a hundred miles an hour about everything we bought. At dinner time, I could barely eat. I was so excited, because after dinner the fashion show started.

As soon as Dad finished and was settled into his chair, I modeled all my new clothes for him and he told me that I was beautiful.

Your experience might not be anything like mine, but think about
what made this time of year special for you and use those memories to create fun "Back-to-School-Traditions" for your kids. Start the school year off on a positive note.

In the picture, you see my grandson, Oscar, meeting his new teacher. His mom always takes special pictures on the first day of school. (Isn't he adorable?)

Here are some fun "School is starting" traditions to start:

  1. Have special one-on-one shopping time with your child.
  2. Take everyone out for ice cream after the first day of school.
  3. Take pictures by a favorite tree, so you can see how much the kids grow.
  4. Buy a new lunch box every year.
  5. Write your child a note of encouragement and love.
  6. Write "I love you." on their hand, so they feel loved all day.
  7. Have a special breakfast, like blueberry pancakes, on the first day of school.
  8. When your child comes home from the first day, record a goofy video of her telling you about her first day. 

Children will remember special back-to-school family traditions forever. I know, because I do and my first day at kindergarten was 59 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment